Did you know…?
The new viaduct over the la Virgen Swamp, between Cartagena and Barranquilla:
• Was built with a new system called Top Down, from top to bottom to avoid major impacts on the marine ecosystem.
• Has a height (gauge) of approximately 6 meters above the water level.
• Is 11.70 meters wide.
• Has two lanes from Cartagena to Barranquilla.
• Reduces entry and exit times up to 50%.
• The length of the viaduct is equal to adding three Pumarejo bridges, which was until now the longest in the country!
• The bridge weighs 166,554 tons, equivalent to 1,100 blue whales.
• Was built in record time: 23 months.
It is being built by the Coastal Concession conformed by Constructora MHC, Constructora MECO, Constructora Colpatria and Castro Tcherassi.
About Constructora MECO
MECO is a regional construction company specializing in earthworks, highways and tourist, industrial and commercial infrastructure works of great importance. With more than 40 years of presence in the market, MECO has been part of the development of large hydraulic projects, marinas, shopping centers, airports, and roads in Central and South America.
Today, MECO has projects in Panama, Costa Rica, Colombia, El Salvador, and Nicaragua, and it is consolidated as one of the most important construction companies, committed to results, service and quality in the development of all its projects.